Real Money Mobile Poker Apps
Mobile poker was merely a gleam in a developer’s eye two decades ago, but it is now a necessity for any online poker operator. They all have apps that are compatible with Android and Apple devices.
That means using your mobile device to play real-money online poker has never been easier. For players in New Jersey, Nevada, Delaware, or Pennsylvania, they can download free poker apps from sites licensed in those states to play poker. Some of those sites include WSOP, PartyPoker, and PokerStars, each through their land-based casino partner. For other players, especially those in states without state-regulated online poker, they are able to use real-money mobile apps for the sites we recommend here, those who have catered to American poker players for years.
Speaking of the top mobile poker rooms for US players, we ranked them by mobile performance and options, profitability, bonus and promotion availability, and the ease of deposits and withdrawals.
Best Mobile Apps for Real Money Poker
iPad and iPhone users generally have more options when it comes to real money gambling and poker apps. Our iPhone / iPad poker page explains how to find an app compatible with your device as well as the steps necessary for playing with real money against real people.
Fortunately, Android devices still work with Flash, but HTML5 is becoming the mainstream option. This gives USA, European, and Canadian mobile players plenty of options when it comes to playing poker tournaments on an Android smartphone or tablet. Our Android poker page explains how to play poker, or any game for that matter, on an Android as well as payment options when you are ready to make a cash deposit.
How to Play Online Poker on Apple Devices
Apple devices used to make online poker compatibility rather difficult for online poker site developers, but everything has changed in recent years. All players with iOS mobile devices should be able to download mobile apps and play the sites without issue.
Playing Poker on the iPhone
The main problem with iPhones in the past was their inability to support Flash in their native state. It required technical tricks to reformat the device, and it was a hassle.
Today, however, Flash is not required to download mobile poker apps. iPhone users can access nearly all of the same apps as Android users. There may be an exception or two in small states just now implementing online poker, but almost every site available to American players is iPhone accessible.
Playing Real-Money Poker Using iPads
Virtually the same rules apply to iPads as to iPhones. Now that poker sites don’t require Flash, iPad users can easily download poker apps and use them on iPads.
Many players prefer iPads to iPhones because the screen is bigger and allows for better viewing of stats, chips, and everything else on the screen. The iPad is also easy to prop up and use hands-free. Again, there may be a few small poker sites in individual American states that don’t yet have iOS compatibility for their poker apps, but most do…and all of the offshore US poker sites are iPad-compatible.
How to Play Online Poker on Android Devices
Android users were the first ones to be able to download online poker to their mobile devices in the 2000s. Developers had a much easier time adapting games to the Android platform than with iOS. This meant that players had a wider variety of poker games, sites, and choices during those years. Today, Android users have very little edge over iOS players.
Real-Money Poker on Android Phones
Online poker developers have adapted to technology changes through the years, making mobile poker apps easier to download than ever. Without Flash and other hurdles, players can download an app in less than a minute and begin playing right away.
Some sites require players to download the app from their poker sites, while others offer apps in the Play Store. Either way, they are quick and easy to access and download.
Real-Money Online Poker on Android Tablets
At one time, the iPad was the only solid tablet option on the market. Since then, numerous competitors have come to the market, giving Android users many tablet choices.
As with the iPad, Android tablets are easier to use than mobile phones simply because of the size of the screen and the ease of play. Much of the online poker played by Americans on Android devices is done on tablets, as downloads are fast and easy, just as is the poker action.
Five Tips for a Positive Mobile Poker Experience
Playing online poker from the US on a mobile device should be an enjoyable experience. Here are five brief tips that will help United States players get the most out of online poker on their mobile device – whatever that device happens to be.
- Start With a Trial Run: Playing mobile poker is going to be a different experience, so it’s best that you treat your first few sessions as a trial run. Play low stakes while you get used to the interface and other elements of the software that might differ from the desktop experience. Save your cash until you know the online cardroom well.
- Adjust Your Expectations: Mobile poker may look like the online poker you’ve come to know, but you’ll be playing fewer tables with less external information. Multi tabling is harder with Android or iOS poker. If you go into sessions expecting them to be the same as the ones you play with a full setup, you may be leaving yourself open to a bit of frustration – and possibly even tilt – when those expectations aren’t met.
- Don’t Play in Public: The great thing about mobile: you can play anywhere anytime. The bad thing about mobile: Anywhere includes a lot of insecure internet connections. Playing on public connections is just an unnecessary risk that can expose you and your poker accounts to a variety of threats. Resist the urge to play just because you can, and only play mobile poker when you feel comfortable with the security of your connection.
- Keep it Simple: If the mobile poker setup isn’t what you expected, simplify it for the first sessions. Play very low stakes to become familiar with the buttons and options, and play just one table until you become comfortable. This probably isn’t the best time to learn a new poker variation, either. Save those exercises for the laptop, desktop, or tablet.
- Maintain Your Focus: When you’re playing at your normal computer, you probably have a routine and other tools that help you to stay focused while playing. When you transition to a tablet or phone, it might be tempting to let your attention wander to your surroundings. Don’t text, read the news, or chat with the person next to you while you play poker for cash. Make sure you develop a plan for maintaining your focus while playing on mobile devices to ensure that mobile poker play has just as much profit potential as your standard play.
Most legit mobile card rooms have Android and iPhone apps that pay for quick and secure deposits. One final thing about funding your mobile poker account: consider whether you should use credit cards or debit cards as deposit options. Each has their advantages. Credit cards have rewards programs with cashback. That extra cash factors into your expected return the way a poker bonus does. Use Visa, MasterCard, or American Express credit card deposits if you want to earn money while playing cards.
Found a room to play legal mobile poker and now you want to know how to make a deposit? Check out our pages covering Visa deposits, MasterCard deposits and Pre-paid Card deposits.